Transforming with Edge Computing: the Retail Experience
In this Horizon Report by Stratascale (an SHI company), our analysts identify how edge computing can be a key component to an organization’s digital transformation. Focusing on the retail industry, which is a leading force for edge-related integration, we assess how companies like Chick-fil-A are utilizing edge to provide better customer experiences while uniquely positioning themselves as differentiators in the market.
Although, despite its benefits, we also point out that edge brings several challenges. According to the Microsoft Hypothesis Group 2020 IoT Signals report, roughly 30% of survey respondents noted the following issues with edge computing:
- Lack of sufficient guidance regarding edge architectures
- Not understanding the hardware choices available or which to select
- Not enough knowledgeable staff available at edge locations
- Difficulty managing and securing edge networks and resources
- The need for further testing to prove value
To reap the great rewards available by edge, you must start by getting the technical details right. This starts with having a clear idea of what you are trying to accomplish, followed by a foundational knowledge about how edge architectures can help you get there.
To learn more, read the full report.